Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Appreciation

I believe that we all need to be respected to be happy (see Happiness). We want to be looked up to not down at. I think that an important part of respect is appreciation. We feel so much better when we do something for someone and it’s appreciated. It makes us feel good about ourselves and we enjoy giving more. Everybody wins, we love the appreciation and other people love what they’ve been given.

I don’t believe in controlling people and pushing them to appreciate me, we are all free to do whatever we want to do and if it’s wrong we will face the consequences. The only person that I can control is myself so to get more appreciation I need to do what is appreciated. If it’s not appreciated, I have three options: stop doing it, improve on what I do (see Learning), or do it for someone else who does appreciate it.

Of course, if I do something just for my own happiness, I do not expect anybody to appreciate it. I am the one who is gaining out of it.

The ultimate is to find something that we do for our own happiness while people around us gain from it so much that they appreciate it. This way, we multiply our happiness considerably because we gain happiness not only from the action but also from other people’s appreciation.

Would you like to know your friends' opinion? Why not to share our Facebook post and find out what they think.